01:54:00
A+ A-

#Indepth Interview with Michel Westerhoff about Genesis out on Above All


Genesis" also means the first release of Michel Westerhoff on Above All Records and they are very happy to present you this stunning uplifting Trancer!



We catch up with Michel to talk about Genesis and his career in trance and you can read here his answers.

Dimitri: When did you start your involvement with electronic dance music and which music style you are more affiliated with and why?

Michel: I started with making music when I was 16 years old. (1996) Back then with Fasttracker II. After a couple of years I quieted and it was 2013 when I started to pick up my music hobby again. I Always liked Trance music because its emotion. It must be uplifting! Its that euphoric feeling.

Dimitri: Did you had the opportunity to attend any kind of music production course or are u completely self taught? Do you consider that is essential for any artist to complete any production course?

Michel: Both, I followed production lessons at DJ school in Utrecht and of course YouTube but also online at Sonicacademy and other online courses.

Dimitri: In which label was your first ever release and how did you manage to attract the attention of the label?

Michel: I released a lot of tracks at Se7enth Fury Grammaton Records , they found me at Soundcloud and offered me to release my first track For You. My latest track Genesis is released at Above All Records.

Dimitri: Can you pick for us your Top 5 tracks that you have produced and you consider them as being highly important for the progress of your career indifferent if they were commercially successful.

Michel: 
1: Genesis



2: Invictus



3: Digital Drop



4: Blue Lagoon



5: For You (my first released track)



Dimitri: Let's focus on your latest release called Genesis. Please tell us from where did you got the inspiration for the track?

Michel: Well... I always start with the melody. The melody must reach your hearth. When the track is almost done I'm trying to find a name for it. In this case the feeling it gave me reminded me of Genesis (Bible) when God created everything.

Dimitri: How long it took you to produce Genesis  and was an easy or difficult process?If you have faced any difficulties please tell us about them and how did you resolved them?

Michel: Sometimes I just remove half the track because it's going no where :-) When creating Genesis I did that too. Removing stuff completely will overcome a writers block in some cases. producing music is a non-stopping learning curve. Every production must be better then the last one.

Dimitri: Which was the biggest challenge that you faced during the production of this superb track?

Michel: My slow macbook hahaha. When creating a track I reach about 110 regions in my DAW (Logic pro X) and my Macbook is not a fast one. Its a real struggle.



Dimitri: Can you describe to us the steps that you went through the production of this track and of any other track?

Michel: First I create the melody and break. After that I arrange the track from beginning to end. Then I create a kick and bassline and drums/percussion, ambients. At the end I Introduce the FX like downlifters/uplifters. FX are only intended to make the track bigger, that's why I introduce them in the end.

Dimitri: When the track finished did the label accepted it as it was produced or did the label recommend you to do some changes or fix certain things?

Michel: The label was enthusiastic about it, I only had to deliver a separate radio edit.

Dimitri: Is Genesis  an original composition or is it based on a template from another track produced from you or another producer?

Michel: It's an original composition, I didn't use a template. I do like the trance tracks from Allen Watts a lot so his tracks are a big inspiration to my own productions.



Dimitri: Is the quality of Genesis higher than your previous one? If yes in what ways this track sounds better than your previous one?

Michel: Yes I think so. my previous release Blue Lagoon is nice but the main melody (leads) are not so strong in my opinion. Genesis has both good leads and a good drive.

Dimitri: Do you have any friends or relatives that you send them the track before sending it to a label? If yes did you have to do any alterations as a result of the crowd reaction?

Michel: No really, I try to do everything myself. I do receive valuable feedback from the masterer. I Always adjust my track after his feedback.



Dimitri: Please describe to us the studio that you have produced Genesis? What is your favourite hardware and software set up? Do you have in mind any new gear that you wish to get in order to raise the quality of your production?

Michel: I produce all tracks with headphones, I do have a studio at the attic but I only mix down my tracks there when they are almost done. 

I use Logic Pro X as DAW and plugins I use a lot are Spire/Kontakt/Zebra2/MAAG4/ WAVES plugins/Volumeshaper etc.. My studio at the attic has a pair of Yamaha HS8's.

Dimitri: Do you master the track yourself or the mastering is task for the record label? Do you understand mastering as being essential?

Michel: Mastering is done by AMPM Audio (Andy Mac Dougall) Mastering is something else... A real profession on its own. A masterer hears my production for the first time, this is one of the most important advantages. After I'm done with the mix I have heard it for around 150 times... after a while your ears cant hear these things anymore.

Dimitri: There is a growing trend of vinyl coming back for good. Would you like to see this track released on vinyl or any other of your future tracks? Do you prefer digital files or vinyl?

Michel: Well... I don't DJ, I only produce at the moment. So I dont care :-) 



Dimitri: Do you have any future releases planned and when will be released?

Michel: Currently I'm really busy with a new track. Almost done!

Dimitri: Best piece of advice you got in relation to your career so far and best tip you learnt recently to make your tracks better.

Michel: Always finish your tracks, try to figure out which elements you want to improve on, make your new track better. Keep learning.



Dimitri: Please give us here your tips or more elaborated advice for any new artists who may read this interview and wish to get involved with the electronic music industry.

Michel: Do it because you love to do it

Additional info: